Welcome to the Spread Toolkit!
Spread is an open source toolkit that can be used in many distributed applications that require high reliability, high performance, and robust communication among various subsets of members. The toolkit is designed to encapsulate the challenging aspects of asynchronous networks and enable the construction of reliable and scalable distributed applications. Spread consists of a library that user applications are linked with, a binary daemon which runs on each computer that is part of the processor group, and various utility and demonstration programs.
Some of the services and benefits provided by Spread:
- Reliable and scalable messaging and group communication.
- A very powerful but simple API simplifies the construction of distributed architectures.
- Easy to use, deploy and maintain.
- Highly scalable from one local area network to complex wide area networks.
- Supports thousands of groups with different sets of members.
- Enables message reliability in the presence of machine failures, process crashes and recoveries, and network partitions and merges.
- Provides a range of reliability, ordering and stability guarantees for messages.
- Emphasis on robustness and high performance.
- Completely distributed algorithms with no central point of failure.
News and Highlights
Spread 4.4.0 ReleasedMay 28, 2014 - Spread 4.4 is an important release that incorporates a new, accelerated ring protocol. This protocol is tailored for data center networks and can provide 30%-50% higher throughput and 20-35% lower latency in modern local area networks. This version also supports Spread's regular ring protocol.
The main new features of this release are:
1) Accelerated ring protocol to improve both throughput and latency in local area networks.
2) Redesigned message-packing, reducing overhead for small messages.
3) Updated MSVS project files for Windows source builds.
4) Several important bugfixes that make Spread more stable, especially under high loss.
5) Expanded and improved logging.
6) Binary executable releases for 64b OSX (10.6+) and Windows 8.
If you have any questions please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org